hmdw architects ltd

 

chapel royal, brighton

Located in the centre of Brighton and adjacent to the Royal Pavillion, the Chapel is Grade II* listed, originally dating from 1793.


Prevailing salt winds and rain together with freeze thaw weathering, particularly in the cold winter of 2009, have caused failure of the moulded brick arches, window reveals and string courses.


Repairs were carried out due to unsafe, falling brickwork. The scope of work included terracotta replacement across the south elevation and tower, areas of repointing in lime mortar, replacement of steel lintels in the south elevation and the installation of a lightning conductor.


The conservation project received the King of Prussia Gold Medal 2012.

hanslip mercer dyson weedon

London: 020 7267 8855

Chichester: 01243 530322

Portfolio:
Conservation
Summary
Phoenix Cinema
All Saints
Ifield House
Chapel Royal
Welsh Chapel

Awards
Press / Awards

Practice
Home
ContactSummary.htmlCON_Phoenix_Cinema.htmlCON_All_Saints_Wandsworth.htmlCON_Ifield_Friends_meeting_house.htmlCON_Welsh_Chapel.htmlAwards___Press.htmlFrontpage.htmlContact.htmlshapeimage_4_link_0shapeimage_4_link_1shapeimage_4_link_2shapeimage_4_link_3shapeimage_4_link_4shapeimage_4_link_5shapeimage_4_link_6shapeimage_4_link_7shapeimage_4_link_8